‘Ketuanan Melayu’, Social Contract and Federal Constitution
There is NOTHING racist about the concept of Ketuanan Melayu. This phrase Ketuanan Melayu refers to the MALAY-CENTREDNESS of our Federal Constitution.
The CORE of our Federal constitution centres around the following:
1. Malay Agung as King of the country, who has power to appoint the PM and to declare State of Emergency, besides being the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.
2. Malay Sultans as head of the states, with powers to appoint the Menteri Besar, besides being the Head of Islamic Religion.
3. Islam as the Religion of the Federation.
4. Bahasa Melayu as the National Language.
5. Special position of Malays, and Bumiputras of Sabah and Sarawak, the meaning of which include the reservations based on certain quotas of study scholarships, places in public universities, business licences, government contracts, civil service and security services.
6. Malay reserved lands.
KETUANAN MELAYU and ISLAM are at the core of our Federal Constitution. Provisions of the Constitution were based on an Agreement among major races just in the run up the FIRST GENERAL ELECTION in 1954, popularly known as the Social Contract, 3 years before the independence of Persekutuan Tanah Melayu in 1957.
The Malays are not being racist. The Malays are only UPHOLDING terms of an Agreement, the Social Contract, under which 1.5 million Chinese and Indians were granted CITIZENSHIP of this country.
The Malays are only reminding the non-Malays their OBLIGATIONS under the Agreement, when the Chinese are looking more like a party DEFAULTING the Agreement.
This entry was posted on December 1, 2009 at 7:58 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can subscribe via RSS 2.0 feed to this post's comments.